1/2 head of red leaf lettuce
1/2 head of green leaf lettuce
1 stalk of basil
1 stalk of mint
2 springs fresh cilantro
1 binch chives
1 cucumber, cut in thin 2-inch spears
1 C carrots, julienne
Vietnamese rice paper (shaped like a circle)
1/4 C rice vinegar
2 t sugar
1/4 C carrot, julienne
1/4 lemon, juiced
1 t fish sauce (nuac mam)
- Wash the 7 fresh vegetables and place on a dish in the center of the table.
- Mix the sauce ingredients and place a bowl within reach of each person at the table.
- Place the rice paper on the table with a bowl of warm water.
- When ready to eat, soak the rice paper in the hot water. When it is soft, lay it flat on your plate.
- Place a little of eat vegetable in the center of the rice paper.
- Fold the right and left sides of the circle over the ingredients.
- Now, fold one of the remaining sides over the ingredients and begin rolling until the rice paper is wrapped around the fillings.
- Dip the roll in the sauce and eat.
- Suggestion: You may find it easier to eat if you cut them in half.
NOTE 1: When purchasing fish sauce, price = quality. You want a fish sauce that contains only fish and salt. Also, you want a fish sauce that is from the first press. If you purchase a cheaper nuac mam, you will find it fishy, smelly, and salty. As with all international ingredients, the processing plants may not be held to the same standards as ours and this includes labeling standards. There is always a risk. It is wise to feed the food first under the same conditions that you would use in a food challenge if you are concerned about safety.
NOTE 2: Read the ingredients for the rice paper well. Some may contain wheat.