According to WholesomeBabyFood.com, broccoli, onion and garlic may be introduced between 8 and 10 months of age. This makes Broccoli Jjuk the perfect food for a wholesome family breakfast.
Brocolli Jjuk (Broccoli Rice Porridge)
1/2 of one broccoli top
1/4 medium onion
1 clove garlic
2 C water
1/4 t salt
3 C cooked rice
- Chop onion into large pieces.
- Place onion, broccoli, garlic and the dash of salt in a pot with 2 C water.
- Cook vegetables over medium heat until just soft.
- Using an immursion blender or table top blender, blend the vegetables until pureed.
- Return the chopped vegetables to the pot.
- Add 3 C rice and 2 more cups of water to the pot.
- Cook on low heat until the rice begins to break down. Add water 1/4 C at a time, if necessary.
- Salt to taste and serve.
Shortcut: If you have steamed broccoli leftover from dinner, you may omit steps 1 - 6. Place the onion, garlic and steamed broccoli in a blender with 1/4 cup water and blend until pureed. Place the vegetable mixture in a pot with 2 C rice and cook as indicated in Step 7. Salt to taste and serve.
NOTE 1: If your baby angel has not eaten onion or garlic yet, I would use EITHER the onion OR the garlic. You may also decrease the amount of those spices until their baby tummies adapt.
NOTE 2: To kick the flavors up a notch and the nutrition, too, use chicken broth instead of water.