It creeps, and leaps, and glides and slides,
Across the floor, right through the door
And all around the wall.
A splotch, a blotch,
Be careful of The Blob!"
~ Theme song from "Beware fo the Blob", 1958
Halloween is coming and great ideas abound all over the web! Recently, I was inspired by glasses of "Googley Eyed Green Blob" over at Make and Takes. I saw those blobs and thought, "Why not make these edible?" And so I did!
Googley Eyed Jello Blobs
1 pkg Jello (I like green)
jars of all sizes, no lid necessary
1 bag of googley eyes of various sizes
- Wash the googley eyes and leave them soaking in a bowl of water.
- Line your jars up ready to fill.
- Mix the jello according to the package directions.
- Pour the jello in the jars.
- Place the jars in the refrigerator for about 2 hours, until the jello is still wiggly but beginning to solidify.
- Remove the jello from the fridge and using a fork, place one or more pair of googley eyes in each jar. While the eyes float, you may push them down slightly to alter the effect. careful not to touch the tops of the jello too much or it will ruin the smooth jello surface.
- Place the jello back in the fridge.
- Once the jello is solidified, cover with a lid or plastic wrap until ready to serve.
- When serving, remind kids NOT to eat the eyes. INSTEAD, have the kids collect the eyes on their plate then count the eyes, add and subtract the eyes, count the pairs, etc.
AVOID CHOKING HAZARD: These googley eyes pose a choking hazard when put in the food. When making this for young children who may accidentally eat the eyes, glue the eyes to the outside of the glass. The look is fun and safe.