"Como se lama?" I ask once again, waiting for Maria to slowly tell me how to say the name of the drink.
"Agua de Me-lon!" she yells over the roar of the blender.
For many years, I made this recipe until life took over and I forgot about Mexico. But, years later with children of my own, I find myself remembering how to make simple dishes like these. I love to share them and their stories with my angels, as memories of a younger me fill the room.
Agua de Melon (Canteloupe Water)
3 C water
1/4 C sugar
- Remove the peel and seeds from a canteloupe.
- Cut into 1-2 inch pieces.
- Place 1/2 of the pieces in a blender.
- Add 1 1/2 C water.
- Blend on high until the canteloupe is liquid.
- Pour this through a strainer into a pitcher.
- Repeat Steps 4-6 with the remainder of the watermelon.
- Taste the drink and add sugar in small amounts until sweet.
- Chill and enjoy!