Allergy-Friendly Asian Pear and Winter Squash Fritters
1 Asian pear, grated
1/2 butternut squash, pumpkin or other winter squash, grated
1/4 onion, grated (for savory version only)
1/4 C brown sugar (for sweet version)
1/4 t pumpkin pie spice (if not allergic)
3/4 C rice flour
1 t salt
1 T rice oil
1/4 C water
rice oil for frying
- Place all ingredients, except the water, in a bowl and stir.
- Add water a little at a time to form a thick pancake batter. Only stir until just mixed; do not over-mix.
- Allow batter to rest for 30 minutes.
- Pour enough oil in a skillet to cover the bottom. Turn heat to medium or medium-high.
- When the oil is thoroughly heated, ladle batter into the pan and gently press to flatten. Keep your ladle in a bowl of water to prevent the batter from sticking. If the batter begins to stick to the ladle, just dip the it in the water again.
- Cook the fritters until light brown on one side. Watch your heat and only turn them one time. If the fritter cooks too slow, it will be hard on the inside; if cooked too fast, it will be mushy.
- Once the fritters have cooked on each side, place them on a plate with a paper towel to cool.
- Whether sweet or savory, serve with honey or Pear Sauce for a delicious snack.