I have been asked numerous times for this recipe but have never given it out until now. This salad is as perfect for Sunday brunch as it is for a family picnic. This year, I am whipping up a batch for our family Easter Egg hunt. I just love that I can make the dish on Saturday and take it out of the fridge, ready to serve, after church on Sunday. The flavors of this salad really blend and bloom with time. So, use leftover rice, vegetables that you love and make this ahead. It really is best that way!
For those with food sensitivities, the recipe below does contain peppers and squash, both of which can cause problems for my angel. Although, I prefer the dish with the ingredients used below, I also know that this is not always possible. Here is how I adapt this: I parboil the squash since my angel reacts to raw squash but small amounts of cooked squash are tolerated. I also replace the peppers with safe ingredients like finely diced cucumber, par-boiled chopped asparagus, or finely diced cooked beets (these are fun because they turn the rice into a fun pink color).
I hope that you find this recipe enjoyable and are able to find your own blend of vegetables that make your family say, "Can I have some more of that Oh-So-Delicious Rice Salad, please?
Oh-So-Delicious Rice Salad
1 C long grain rice
2 C chicken broth
1/3 red bell pepper, finely diced
1/2 yellow squash, finely diced
2 T chives, chopped
2 t dry dill
Dill Vinaigrette Dressing
- Place 1 C rice and 2 C chicken broth in a pot and bring to a boil on medium heat.
- Reduce the heat to a slow simmer and cook until the water is fully absorbed, about 20 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and let rest 10 minutes. Careful not to open the lid during cooking or resting. The heat and steam are what make the rice fully bloom.
- Using a fork, fluff the rice and place in a mixing bowl.
- Allow to cool to room temp.
- Add the bell pepper, squash, chives and dill to the rice, then gently toss.
- Add 1/4 C Dill vinaigrette Dressing and toss.
- Allow salad to chill for at least 2 hours, although 6 -8 hours is better.