I frequently make porridge, or "Jjuk" as it is called in Korea, using whatever fruits or vegetables I have on hand. This morning it was plum, pear, mango and banana. This unusual combination turned out to be pretty sweet and pretty delicious!
Plum, Pear, Mango and Banana Porridge (Jjuk)
1 plum, finely chopped
1 pear, finely chopped
1 mango, finely chopped
1 banana, finely chopped
1 C uncooked sushi rice
6 C water
1/2 T brown sugar
1 t salt
- Rinse the rice with water and remove any stones or unwanted items.
- Place rice and water in a pot.
- Bring to a simmer over medium heat.
- While the pot comes to a boil, chop the fruit and add to the pot.
- Add the seasoning and stir.
- Continue stirring frequently and gently while the porridge cooks.
- When the rice begins to break down, turn off the heat.
- Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Serve warm.
NOTE: You may use leftover rice or rice that has already been cooked. Simple place all of the ingredients in the pot and add half the amount of water. Stir continually, adding water as necessary until the porridge has finished cooking.