I was taught that traditional cranberry sauce had 4 cups cranberries, 2 cups sugar, and 2 cups water. But, everyone knows you should get dressed up for a dinner party. So, my sauce is a dressed up version of the old classic.
Dressed-up Cranberry Sauce
3 1/2 C sugar
zest of 3 oranges
juice of 3 oranges
1/2 C water
1 t ginger
1/4 t salt
- Wash cranberries in a large bowl of water removing any that are spoiled.
- Place all of the ingredients in a pot.
- Turn on medium heat and stir. Allow to come to a simmer.
- Stirring periodically, cook until the cranberries pop and the sauce is bubbling (around 5 minutes).
- Turn off heat. Taste and add more sugar at this point, if needed.
- When the sauce cools, it will thicken.
- Chill to allow the flavors to blend.
- Serve hot or cold.