This is a fun drink that uses three simple ingredients - rice, sugar, and water. My angel and I make it together since the only cutting is done with a blender. It needs to be served cold and it does NOT work with any rice other than long grain. (Guess how I know that!) My angel and I
This drink is common throughout Mexico. Many people today purchase it as a bottled drink but it is not difficult to make yourself. The basic ingredients and technique were given to me by a Mexican friend when my angel was first diagnosed with allergies. She thought that this might be a treat for my angel.....and it is!
Horchata (Mexican Chilled Rice Drink)
1 C long grain rice
zest of 1/2 lime (optional)
2 C warm water
1/2 C sugar
- Place the rice in a bowl and rinse.
- Add 3 C water and lime zest to the rice. Cover and soak overnight.
- Place rice and water in a blender and blend completely, adding another cup of cold water, if needed, to help blend.
- Slowly pour rice mixture through a strainer lined with cheesecloth. This step is important.
- Press the rice into the strainer, stirring to help the liquids pass through.
- Once the rice liquid has passed through, add sugar and additional water until the desired taste and consistency are reached.
- Chill and serve.
NOTE: This recipe makes enough to fill one blender. To make a pitcher full, double the recipe.
Lime Horchata: After pressing the liquid through the strainer, add the juice of one or two limes along with the sugar. This really brightens the flavor.