Downhome Mirepoix Rice
1/2 onion, chopped
1 T rice oil
1 t salt
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 C medium grain rice
1 C Lundenberg Country Rice
2 green onion, chopped
1 1/2 C water
- Saute onion in oil until just soft.
- Add salt, rices and garlic; stir.
- Allow to cook, stirring occasionally until rice browns slightly. This step helps bring out a nutty flavor in the rice.
- Stir in the green onion and water.
- Cover and cook on the stovetop or transfer to your rice cooker bowl and cook on the mixed rice setting.
- Gently stir before serving.
* Mirepoix is a mix of aromatic vegetables (carrot, celery and onion) which are commonly found in French and Cajun cooking. This mix is delicious in the Downhome Mirepoix Rice. However, because of our allergy to carrot and celery, I omit it.
* For those living places where Lundenberg Country Rice may not be sold, it contains a mixture of Wehani®, long grain brown rice and Black Japonica.